Monday, March 23, 2009

1st grade intelligence

So today was one of those "tough to get out of bed" Mondays. But thanks to a group of very intelligent 6 and 7 year olds, I had a smile on my face long before morning recess came. Here are two of my favorite conversations:

#1:
Me: So who wants to share what they did this weekend?
Emma: I went with my mom to a politician.
Me: Hmmmm (thinking..Okay??) And what did you do there?
Emma: She painted all of my fingernails and toes!

So that would be a "polish"tician!!

And #2:
I was teaching a reading comprehension lesson and I had the kids writing a story summary using all of the story elements.
Me: Brandon, now you need to write about the setting
Brandon: Ummm....(followed by a blank look)
Me: Brandon... (in my teacher voice) where did the story take place?
Brandon: (lightbulb goes on) In the book! (He was completely serious about this answer)
Me: (Trying not to burst out laughing) Yes, that is true...but look at the picture. Where are the animals?
Brandon: On the page!

You win Brandon! I had to just walk away at this point! Teacher of the year, right here!

4 comments:

jd said...

you ARE teacher of the year. When one of MY students gave me a dumb answer today (more like an action than an answer), I said, "Dangit, Andrew!!", threw a sponge into the sink, and went outside to sit in the courtyard for a minute. You are a MUCH better example. :)

Tera said...

I imagine that it's moments like this that keep you going from day to day. Fun!

Bump and Erin said...

Ha ha ha!!! I love it! I bet you have stuff like that happen all the time! That is the best age!!

Iris said...

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL....I love the stories!