I seriously love this time of year. It's one holiday after another, and who can complain about that! This week has been a busy one. Even though I only have to teach 3 days, what a busy 3 days they are. It all builds up to Wednesday when we have our Thanksgiving Feast at school. This year we fed 100 hungry 6 year old Pilgrims and Native Americans. It's totally crazy, but tons of fun. And yes, we still have them wear the paper bag vests and headbands!After this madness, it's on to Mama and Papa's house to get ready for the big Thanksgiving at their house. Thanksgiving is almost a bigger deal than Christmas at my house. I have memories of huge dinners with Grandma, Grandpa, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc....in all
about 70 people. This of course, was always followed by the annual Turkey Bowl. I remember some games got quite competitive (what Keysors competitive??) One year, we even had team shirts made. Unfortunately, through the years of washing and too many Thanksgiving feasts, these shirts have become quite small. Although, they do seem to resurface every one in a while. Go Turkey Bowl '83.
Since the families are now too big, we have a dinner at my parents' house and my Aunts have dinners at theirs. Then we all get together for dessert and the Turkey Bowl at my parents' house.At our dinner, we each have a responsibility to make something and every year, mine is the same....mashed potatoes. Usually, they turn out great (except the year, I was talking too much and added WAY too much salt!) However, it is not an easy task. First step is to peel about 20 lbs of potatoes. This year my brothers Steve and Dave helped me with this part. The hardest part is waiting for the water to boil. As my dad says every Thanksgiving, "The biggest mistake we made in this kitchen was putting in an electric stove, rather than a gas one." So I wait and wait for that water to boil. We all joke that I need to start the water the night before. Well, this year we had a Thanksgiving miracle, it only took 2 1/2 hours and two diet cokes to finish the potatoes!!














2 comments:
What a fun day and fun family you have! You look dang cute by the way! I love that you wait to listen to Christmas music too!
Looks like fun.
Your nieces and nephews are ADORable.
And hooray for Christmas music. Um, I've been listening to it for a few weeks now but haven't told Casey about it. Today he said, "is this the official first day of Christmas music? It seems early."
"uh. yea."
Post a Comment