Sunday, October 5, 2008

The "Keysor Geysor"

So last Saturday, I held an end of summer BBQ/swim party at Mama and Papa's house. There was a group of friends going to Lancaster to shoot off rockets for the annual "Rocket Day". On their way back, they would stop off in good old Canyon Country to cool off and BBQ. There were also some others coming out from LA. In all, about 50 people would be coming out for some end of the summer fun.

Well, the night before, Bobby (who takes care of my parents' yard) decided to fix an underground leak at the end of the driveway. He turned off the water Friday night, and didn't quite get it done. Bobby said he'd be back early in the morning to finish it long before the party was to take place. So at 8:00am, the water went off again and Bobby got to work. I kept cleaning and got the house as ready as I could without any water. By about noon, I started to get a little worried, since everyone was to come at 12:30. I went out and asked Bobby how long and he said, "Just finishing the last piece. Water will be back on in 10 minutes!" Calmly I walked back to finish getting things ready and decided I didn't need to head to In-and-Out to use their bathrooms.


About 5 minutes later my nephew, Eric, ran in and said,
"There's water shooting way up outside!" I ran out to see
that Bobby's "almost done" job had broken a water main and the "Keysor Geysor" was born! Bobby was running around frantically, trying to call the Water Co. who said that it would be an hour before they could get out there. So now I had 50 people coming with no water and no toilets! I think I probably should have been crying, but all I could do was laugh!

Luckily, the city of Santa Clarita had been working on our street and used my parents' property for parking and left us this little treasure. Problem solved! Who needs a toilet when you have your very own Porta-Potty (or as we Santa Claritans call it, an "Andy Gump")?!

In the end, the Water Co. showed up, turned off the water for the whole street, put a new part in, and had the water back on by about 3:00. Seriously, there is never a dull moment in my life...it kind of reminds me of the time I threw a luau and had 250 people there and we had a back up from too many people flushing...in the words of a famous ex-LA resident, "Good times, good times."

3 comments:

Tera said...

I'm so glad you could laugh at a time like that. You have such a great attitude. You are a perfect example of Elder Wirthlin's talk this weekend. Love ya!

jd said...

"good times, good times"... Nice addition, stacy! :)

Uh, yeah. I was TOTALLY there, witnessed it, that Stace of Base doesn't lie. But she can't spell "geyser"-- Stacy!! Didn't we talk about this??

Bump and Erin said...

I was going to say what Tera said about laughing instead of totally freaking out! I would have been freaking out!! Hope you still had a good time with everyone!