Monday, June 8, 2009

Car Dilemma

So my poor little Solara had a bad morning last week. The second to last week of school is always crazy. I ran out last Wednesday morning, jumped in my car and found that it wouldn't start. It would start and then just die. Finally, after some amazing techniques, I got it started and drove out to my parents house to switch cars. My dad took it in and it needed about $200 worth of service to get it up and running again. Ritchie (our mechanic) told my dad that it really needed about $1200-$1300 more of service (the timing belt and some vacuum thing). So now I have a decision to make. My car is 11 years old....and has 208,000 miles. How long do I keep putting money into it? Do I use the $1200 towards fixing it and let it run for another 60,ooo (my dad's choice) or do I use that $1200 towards a new car and have a car payment again (mom's choice)?

My car has never had any major problems...just the wear and tear of over 200,000 miles...and it's a Toyota. On the other hand, I drive A LOT and most of the time by myself. I could fix it and then have to put more money into it in a couple of months...or it may drive fine and I can use that non-carpayment money towards more travel (or savings--looking to buy a place at some point)...or do I suck it up and buy a new car?

So let's hear it! What should I do? And if I do decide to get a new car....what kind???





VS.

7 comments:

Sherilyn said...

I think I would fix it and start saving up for a new car. 60,000 is a lot of miles and you could save up a good chunk of cash. If you bought a new car, your payments might be around $300 a month so $1200 would only be 4 months of payments. I would make sure you have AAA though! My goal is to never have a car payment again. If you have cash to buy a car, you get a better deal. Good luck in your choice!

Courtney said...

I say suck it up and buy a new car. Don't get me wrong - for an 11-year-old car, it has held up amazingly well. However, I know from experience that when things start to go wrong with old cars (my last car was 13 when we finally parted ways), they don't stop - and they get to be more and more frequent and more expensive as time passes. There is no guarantee that your car will last another 6 months if you fix it now, and then you will have wasted $1200 (which could have been a very nice trip to Europe, I might add).

I am all for staying out of debt, but there does come a point when it becomes necessary. You are a grown-up, Stacy, and you have a steady job. You deserve a new, reliable car!!

Oh, and P.S. - I sold that 13-year-old car, which had A LOT of things wrong with it, for $800 on Craigslist. So, you should also take that into consideration.

dana said...

a new car? fun!
Something with 4 doors is my input.
(and I LOVE my accord, so that might be my input too)

jd said...

I agree with all of the above comments.

I am no help, no help at all :) But I will be watching to see what you do, because someday my little Solara will be in the same boat...!

kim said...

my vote is for the new car. even though, i usually always err on the side of saving, i think in the long run, you might actually save some $ there are lots of great deals out there, plus, you could get a really nice newer used one, thus saving you from so much out of pocket each month. lastly, how often are you going to be able to buy something this big that you love that only you have the final say on?

Tera said...

I'm with Sherilyn. I would do anything to avoid a monthly car payment. Debt is debt.

Good luck with your decision. :)

A Little Sass said...

I am pretty much in your same situation ... and I don't know what to do! I don't want a payment .. but hate not having a reliable car. The big question for me is what to get? Good luck. Sorry, I am NO help!